Friday, January 29, 2010

copper mod studio xps m1330 to lower temperature...

My studio xps like other's was running hot... around 64c (GPU) and 56c (CPU)... It used to get very hot esp doing some kind of intense activity like watching hulu or playing games... GPU would shoot up to 74 to 80c and CPU around 84c...

So, I searched on the net with old friend google and came across this thread... and ordered some stuff from net... total cost came around 15$ including shipping.

Once I got the items, I opened the case and found it is not matching to what was given in the pictures.... seems the instructions were for xps and not for studio xps... but still I continued and found the gpu and cpu and other things in similar fashion... Also you can search on the net... probably you will stumble across this post....

I removed the thermal pad, cut the copper sheet... tip on cutting copper. use a wire cutter or some sharp thing to first make a small groove and then use the hacksaw...

I used arctic silver 5... there are other better compounds but would make a bigger hole in your pocket... so choose accordingly...

I replaced the thermal compound... added the copper and applied thermal on both side of it, put it on gpu and closed the lid... and started my comp...

and to my wonder, idle temperature went down to 45c (CPU) and 52c(GPU)... wow quite an amazing job... I must say... Under full load temperatures goes around 68c (GPU) and 70c (CPU)...

also did I say I used linux to test everything... well I used nvidia app and plasma applet for temperature...

Have to check it in windows too but too lazy to go in there as I use linux as my primary OS .. :-)...

Now, the laptop is much cooler or let say comparitvely cooler... the design flaw of dell is pretty huge I must say... laptop should have side heat sink so that air can go from the side and does not get blocked by the lid....

I would definitely recommended this mod if you want to bring down the temperature...

No comments: