Thursday, March 13, 2008

Error with Compiz Fusion Not Working

Well, compiz is one of the coolest thing which linux has got. It was working flawlessly on my lenovo t60 and suddenly one fine day everything went bonkers... I started recieving these dreaded messages.

libGL error: drmMap of framebuffer failed (Invalid argument)
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
compiz (core) - Fatal: No GLXFBConfig for default depth, this isn't going to work.
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0

when I used to run compiz --replace command. I searched the net for some time and then gave up. I thought what updates came through which screwed this up.  I figured out I had only kde-core package and to upgrade to hardy I had to install kubuntu-desktop which inturn brings tons of other junk in xserver-xorg-video. So, I opened synaptic and remove all the chipset drivers. Do not remove fbdev else it will remove everything in xserver and your system will be in bonkers...

After doing that I just rebooted and yup.. my hunch was right... it was the other video drivers which were creating problem. Now, I am again running the compiz on my kde... and am loving it...

No comments: